Saturday, October 4, 2008

Habitat for Humanity

I know it's sudden, but I built a house today because I can stand the life with my room mate no longer...

NO. Of course I'm joking, but it's true I built a house. Well, technically speaking, I participated in just a part of a building-a-house project.

It's one of the projects of The Syracuse University SUNY ESF Campus Chapter of Habitat For Humanity, which hosts work projects on weekends that offer students a chance to work in the community to fix the problem of sub-standard housing in the local area, as a chapter of Habitat For Humanity. (You can see a quick explanation tour of this organization by click the above link.)

Today's our task was roofing with tiles. Those tiles were not similar to Japanese ones, but thinner, black, and made of tar or something. (I don't know whether I can still call it "tile" or not, but I will call it "tile" because I don't know.) We climbed on the roof, lined up "tiles" so as not to form any cracks, and nailed them onto the roof, for approx three hours.

Of course, it was my first time to be involved in building a real house, and I actually didn't know about "Habitat For Humanity" at all. (Honestly, I still know it just a little) But, that work was very enjoyable and I could have some happy hours.

For me, it was also part of my "Making American Friends Project." So far, I became friends with not so many Americans as international students. I know, making American friends is more difficult, but I have to try it. And today, I think, I could get closer with some Americans.

But, to get further closer with them, more natural chats are crucial, and for more natural chats, more fluent English is crucial.

After all, I' ve come to my usual conclusion; "English is crucial."

So, what should I do now? OK, eat lunch, take some coffee, and let's watch the DVD of "FRIENDS"!!
my home, Syracuse, Oct 4, 14:10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
【日本語読者の皆様(←つまり「皆様」ということですが。)へのお知らせ】
「英語力の強化」という至って個人的な理由により、ときどき、英語で記事を書かせていただくことにしました。(主に週末の予定です。)英語の不得意な方、頑張って読んでください。一緒に英語うまくなりましょう。(適当なコメントですいません。) 英語のお得意な方、 非常に稚拙な英語表現が散見される(それしか見えない?)かと思いますので、何なりとご指導いただければ幸いでございますm(_ _)m

No comments: